22 September, 2011

Lito Velasco



Who are you?: 

I'm an aspiring actor, musician, composer, producer, and writer living my dream in Hollywood, California.  And while I have so far been lucky enough to work in "the industry" (and with some of the legends of the horror world), every day I thank fortune because in the end...I'm still just a wide-eyed fan/dork who somehow got lucky.

1) What are the top two questions you're sick of being asked - and, their answers?: 

I haven't been interviewed enough times and am certainly no sort of celebrity to really feel like I'm "sick of" any questions posed to me.  So I'll just go with questions that get posed to me in "real life"...

"Why are you still a Cubs fan?"  Answer: because in my mind, being a loyal and steadfast Cubs fan proves that you can endure any hardship that life throws your way.  If you're optimistic (read: dumb) enough to have new hope for the team every Spring...then you've got what it takes to make it through just about any trial.  And hopefully one day...that patience and faith will be rewarded.

"You REALLY liked 'Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull'?  Seriously, dude?!"  Answer: yes, now please stop asking me that before I get angry.

2) What do YOU consider to be the root of all evil?: 

I know a lot of people would answer with "money"...and I'm going to go a similar route: unchecked and unabatable greed.  I look around and see it everywhere and it just really makes me stop and shake my head and think to myself, "Man...when is enough enough?!"  People who have so much always want more and seem to think they never have enough and it just sort of makes me laugh because...those people will never be happy or find what they're looking for.  And while I don't want to come off like a prick or seem judgmental by saying something like that...I think people will understand exactly what I mean and am trying to convey.

3) If you had to pick someone in the celebrity world to back you up in a fight, who would you pick and why?: 

Easiest question of the lot: Harrison Ford.  That guy's not only one of the greatest screen icons in the history of cinema...he's also a real-life hero who doesn't take any shit from anyone, tells it like it is, and I'm sure could kick copious amounts of ass if called upon to do so.  Not to mention...how cool would it be to know you were duking it out with roughnecks alongside Indiana Jones/Han Solo?  'Nuff said, methinks.

4) If you had the chance to own your dream car, would you let it simply sit in a garage or would you actually drive it?: 

My dream car is a DeLorean...and if I got one, I would soup it up to make it an exact, screen-accurate match of the time-machine from Back to the Future...and then I would drive that thing into the ground!

5) Star Wars or Star Trek?: 

Since I was old enough to have a single thought that actually mattered, I have NEVER bought into the idea that you cannot absolutely adore and be a fan of both of those franchises and worlds.  My wife will attest to the fact that I am living proof of that fact.  I grew up a diehard Star Wars "baby"...but once I reached my teens, I discovered the amazing world of Trek with episodes of The Next Generation...which lead me to seek out the feature films and go back to the original series as well.  Both worlds are so completely unique...and they're both filled with amazing character, life lessons, wonderful stories, etc.  Plus...I appeared (barely!) in a few scenes in the J.J. Abrams reboot (which I absolutely loved), so I have to be a proud Trekkie!

Now...if you're asking me a "If you could only have one for the rest of your life..." sort of question...then as much as it pains me to say it, I would have to say...may the force be with us...always.  Geez, I look back on all my answers thus far and I have REALLY outed myself as the world's biggest dork, haven't I?  Oh well, I still was able to marry the prom queen...and she loves me.  So...take that, world!

6) Any phobias?: 

A couple of really strong ones, actually.  But I don't think revealing them in an Internet interview that could potentially be read by millions of people across the world is the smartest thing for someone who is technically in "the public eye" to do.  So let's just go with: puppies and tits.  I'm terrified of both.  Especially boobs.  So if anyone ever wants to terrify me...that's a good way to go.  Show me some boobs and I'll scream like Jamie Lee!

7) How far do you think you would get if you went on the show 'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?':

This isn't the type of question I should be honest with, is it?!  If I say "all the way", people will think I'm a conceited jerk (which many already do).  If I say "I'd fail miserably", people will think I'm being falsely modest.  Ahhh, the lovely Catch-22's of show business.  (sighs)  I'll be honest: I think I could do really, really well.  Seriously.

8) Ever actually *facepalm* or *headdesk* before?: 

Several times, actually.  Many of those incidents took place during George W. Bush's Presidency.  Ooops, have I said too much?  Oh well.

9) Is the omission of information considered the same as lying?: 

My attorney has advised me not to answer this question.  Wait...did I just tell a lie?!  CRAP!

10) Do you still watch kid movies- without any kids around? If so, have a favourite?: 

Abso-friggin'-lutely!  Favorites include just about anything Pixar (although I wonder...are those technically considered "kids movies"?)- I still say Toy Story 3 was the best film of last year -and Sesame Street Presents: Follow That Bird.  You haven't lived until you've seen the scene where Ernie and Bert fly an airplane.  Absolutely magical, my friends.

Shameless self promotion/shout outs/any last words:

As far as "shout outs": a big thanks to Angela for asking me to do this.  Opportunities like this are always flattering...and mystifying.  Because I have no idea why anyone ever wants to hear what I have to say.  Hopefully I didn't embarrass myself too badly.  Okay, so I did.

Thanks to every person who reads this and every fan who supports not only what I do...but cinema and horror in general.
Thank you to every person who has believed in and helped me and continues supporting me.  Most of them know who they are already, but a special thanks to: Guy, George and Mindy, Chris, Stacey and Lori, Jason, Thommy, Daniel, Mikey, Gwen, Kathy and "the boys", Ana, Mina, my parents.
Finally, the most sincere and heartfelt thank you to my amazing, beautiful, hilarious, and ridiculously supportive wife, Jennifer.  In The Rock, Sean Connery’s character said, "Losers always whine about their best.  Winners go home and f**k the prom queen."  So no matter how bad certain days may be...at least on some level I know I am “winning”.  Thanks, Charlie.
Self-promotions?  Three:
- check out Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy, which is the multi-award-winning documentary on the original A Nightmare on Elm Street series that I helped produce.  It's available at www.elmstreetlegacy.com and it really does rock
- check out Scream: The Inside Story, a documentary I helped produce about the original Scream.  It's available on the new Scream Trilogy BluRay boxed set...find it at Amazon or through local retailers
- please check out and support our latest effort: More Brains: A Return to the Living Dead, which is the definitive documentary about the classic The Return of the Living Dead.  Our website is brand-spanking-new and AWESOME and the show will debut next month.  Get more info at www.getmorebrains.com
Last words?  Send cash to: Lito Velasco, c/o Bus Stop #5, West Hills, California

No comments:

Post a Comment